Capital Pride is seeking a summer intern to fill the role of Volunteer & Events Coordinator to help plan and execute the 2023 Capital Pride Festival. Our ideal candidate is outgoing and comfortable working with a large team of volunteers, willing to work hard to recruit and train a team of 150 volunteers, will pitch in to support the rest of the team and most importantly is eager to help organize our 2023 Festival.
Position Type: Summer Contract (4 months)
Monday, May 15 – Friday, September 1, 2023
Hours of Work: 35 hours/week
Some evening and weekend work will be required.
The successful applicant must be available for Festival Week: Saturday, August 19
to Sunday, August 27, 2023.
Rate of Pay $18 per hour
Reports to: Executive Director
Place of Work: Hybrid work arrangements are expected to continue throughout the summer but you’ll be expected to work from our offices in Centretown on a regular basis.
- Lead efforts to recruit a diverse team of volunteers to support our 2023 Festival, including organizing outreach activities, responding to inquiries and working with our Social Media Coordinator to develop promotional materials.
- Assist with the development of a training program which responds to a range of skill sets and reflects our commitment to anti-oppression.
- Assist with the creation of a volunteer handbook and other volunteer resources as required.
- Manage the deployment and scheduling of volunteers for each event, act as a primary point of contact for volunteers and manage the Volunteer Center during Festival Weekend.
Logistics & Event Coordination
- Assist with the coordination and operations of various events throughout the summer and during the Festival including co-branded community events, media launch, sponsor reception, family and youth events, pride pageant, festival weekend, and parade.
- Attend events and outreach opportunities as required to promote the Festival and recruit volunteers.
- Prepare an end of summer report highlighting your work accomplishments, challenges and suggestions for future Festivals.
- Support other members of the Festival Team with general tasks as they arise.
- Member of, or ally to, the 2SLGBTQ+ community and a commitment to operating within an anti-oppressive work framework.
- Knowledge of, and/or experience working or volunteering in, the 2SLGBTQ+ community.
- Experience leading teams or managing volunteers or people (either in a work or volunteer setting) is a welcomed asset.
- Comfortable with public speaking and conducting outreach.
- Detail oriented and very organized.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently on assigned projects and contribute to an overall team environment.
- Familiarity with Google’s G-Suite including using Google Drive, Docs, Sheets and Forms (or equivalent Office suite).
- Familiarity with graphic tools (Canva or Adobe Creative Suite) is a welcomed asset.
- Bilingual in both official languages (written and verbal) is a welcomed asset.
It is expected that this position will be supported by the Canada Summer Jobs Program. As such, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Have been registered as full-time students in the current academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in September 2023;
- Be between the ages of 15 and 30 at the start of employment;
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or persons who have been granted refugee status in Canada;
- Be legally entitled to work according to provincial legislation and possess a valid Social Insurance Number; and
- Not be in receipt of Employment Insurance (EI) benefits at the start of the job.
Applicants are asked to submit a resume and cover letter to r[email protected] no later than Monday, April 17.
Only those candidates contacted for an interview will be notified.
Capital Pride is committed to the principles of employment equity. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome; in particular, applications are encouraged from racialized people, Indigenous people, people with disabilities, queer and trans people, and women.
If you require accommodations to participate in the application or interview process, please contact [email protected].