Capital Pride’s 2018 Festival Weekend is taking place on Saturday, August 25th, and Sunday, August 26th. Like any good neighbour, we’re committed to working with you to minimize the impact on your weekend. Here’s what you need to know.
Will there be road closures and parking restrictions?
Yes. Vehicles will not be able to drive or park on many streets throughout the festival site. City of Ottawa Traffic Control will tow vehicles within the following areas at the following times:
- Somerset St will be closed to traffic from Bank St. to O’Connor St. from 7:00 AM on Saturday, August 25, to 11:59 PM on Sunday, August 26.
- Bank St. will be closed to traffic from Somerset St. to Florence St. from 7:00 AM on Saturday, August 25, to 11:00 PM on Sunday, August 26. Most cross streets will remain open to traffic.
- James St will be converted to a 2-way street for the duration of the festival.
- Parking will be removed on the south side of James between Bank Street and 20 James Street.
- Parking will be removed on the northside of James between 20 James Street and Kent Street.
- Waverly St will be converted to a 2-way street for the duration of the festival.
- Parking will be removed on the south side of Waverly (north side to remain) between Bank Street and O’Connor Street.
Many streets will be closed to traffic from 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM on Sunday, August 26, to accommodate the parade and its staging. These are the same closures as last year. Please see the attached map for the closure areas.
What about noise?
Throughout the festival site, you can expect a celebratory atmosphere.
- The TD Mainstage will be located in the parking lot at 348 Somerset St, between Beerocracy and Somerset House.
- Installation of the mainstage will begin the evening of Friday, August 24
- Soundcheck will take place the mornings of Saturday, August 25, and Sunday, August 26.
- Mainstage performances will take place from 2:00 PM to 11:00 PM on Saturday, August 25, and from 2:00 PM to 10:00 PM on Sunday, August 26.
- Dismantling of the main stage will begin at 10:00 PM on Sunday, August 26.
- There will be a smaller Bank Street Stage at Bank St and James St, extended patios along Bank St. and Somerset St. with music, and festive crowds circulating throughout the festival site.
What is Capital Pride doing to ensure a safe event?
In addition to working with multiple city services, including police, bylaw, paramedics, the fire marshall, traffic, and OC Transpo, Capital Pride has hired private security and EMT services.
How do I drive to/from my home or business?
If you access your parking spot on a street that is closed for festival weekend, Barricade Volunteers and/or Ottawa Police will be available to assist you. Taxis, ride shares, and deliveries will not have access. Those with accessibility needs will be accommodated. If your business is on a closed street and requires a delivery on festival weekend, please contact [email protected]
How can I contact Capital Pride?
The quickest way to reach us is by emailing [email protected] You can also call us at 613-680-3033, but you’ll receive a faster response by email.